A.O. Smith gas and electric water heaters are mostly used in the US. Regarding brand recognition, their principal rivals are Rinnai and Rheem. The brand’s dependability is one of the elements influencing many homeowners to pick it.
There may be times when there isn’t hot water available for your washer or when you’re taking a hot shower. Resetting your hot water tank is one possible AO Smith water heater troubleshooting approach.
AO Smith water heater reset button is not immediately apparent. Manufacturers design access to the button for safety reasons and to prevent accidental activation. The type of hot water tank you have—gas, electric, or tankless—might also impact where the button is placed.
Ao Smith Water Heater Reset Button
The first step in your troubleshooting procedure should be to turn off the electricity to your A.O. Smith water heater. Turning off the gas line valve on a gas water heater is also necessary.
Look beneath the metal cover towards the unit’s center for the water heater reset button on a gas or electric model. When the lid is still open, a protective layer of insulation or Styrofoam will reveal the button.
You will need a screwdriver to remove the screws holding the cover in place.
Ao Smith Water Heater Troubleshooting
Your AO Smith electric water heater may not be producing any hot water for the following reasons:
- The device is not powered by electricity.
- Burnout of the upper heating element
- Damaged by a malfunctioning higher thermostat or its wiring
- It trips the electricity cut-off switch.
- The water heater’s inlet and output connectors are reversible.
- Due to a leak in the plumbing system’s hot water side, provide little or no hot water.
How To Fix:
If you just installed your AO Smith Electric Water Heater, it’s a typical problem that it doesn’t have any electricity. So, check the electricity to your unit first, and then the AO Smith water heater keeps tripping the reset button. Purchase a non-contact circuit tester and adhere to the advice provided below:
- At the circuit breaker, switch off your water heater.
- Take off the junction box’s cover. It is located on the top of the water heater’s top.
- It’s important to distinguish between the ground wire and the power cord. The color of the power cord is either red/black or black/black. On the other hand, the ground wire is green or copper wire.
Now, activate your circuit breaker and check the power on both incoming power lines using a non-contact circuit tester.
Recover the lid for the electrical junction box and turn off the electricity.
If no electricity is coming to the appliance, immediately call a licensed electrician to inspect your home’s wiring and circuit breakers.
How To Reset Ao Smith Water Heater
- Go to your home’s electrical panel, either in the garage or on one of the building’s outer walls. Locate the breaker with the word “water heater” on it. Turn it so that it is “off.”
- Step over to the hot water tank. By removing the screws holding it, you may remove the top panel cover on the side of the device. Right within the panel will be the AO Smith reset button. The reset button may have some insulation covering it. Remove the insulation but preserve it.
- To reset, click the water heater reset button. The water heater has been reset, and you should hear a clicking sound.
- To turn on the breaker switch, go back to the electrical panel.
To get your gas water heater working again, you will need to relight the pilot light on the tank.
We are unable to recall a single day without a working water heater. When you take a shower, and the water isn’t hot, you realize how important a water heater is.
And you may use this troubleshooting guide for the AO Smith water heater reset button to address the typical issues you run across.
Heater Technician is a skilled author and water heater expert with years of experience in the field. He has authored several articles and books on various aspects of water heater installation, maintenance, and repair.